Working with Business
We work with industrial partners to deliver benefits from our research to consumers.
Food and Health Network (FHN)
Through subject-specific Expertise Cluster meetings and confidential one-on-one meetings, FHN consults with IFR scientists and effectively channels scientific research into applications, boosting the overall economy and delivering healthier, safer foods to benefit the overall health of the nation.
For further details, visit the FHN website
IFR Extra Ltd is a commercial subsidiary of the IFR, supplying short-term and applied research projects, trouble-shooting, specialist analysis and consultancy work. IFR Extra makes IFR expertise more readily available to small and medium-sized companies, as well as large multi-nationals.
For further details, visit the IFR Extra website
Food Safety Centre
The Food Safety Centre utilises the world-leading expertise available within the Institute of Food Research (IFR) and on the Norwich Research Park in the areas of Food Microbiology and Food Security. Expertise includes Bacterial Foodborne pathogens, Predictive Microbiology and QMRA, Microbial tracing and Food Authentication.
Led by Professor Mike Peck & Elizabeth Saggers, the main aims of the Food Safety Centre are three fold:
- To allow industry to benefit from and access international expertise in food safety and security
- to advise government departments and regulators in the areas of Food safety and security
- to develop research collaborations with other academic institutions to maximise research in the areas of food safety and security
For further details visit the Food Safety Centre Norwich website
Industrial and Academic Networking
The IFR's International Office supports its researchers in their global industrial and academic networking in food and health. It:
- co-ordinates IFR's response to international funding opportunities, including Horizon 2020
- leads on business development activity with industry from outside the UK
- enables IFR's role as a founder and leading member of FOODforce - a network of leading centres of food research across Europe, aimed at facilitating research and co-operation in Europe (see: www.foodforce.org)
- supports ambitions for a role in a Food4future Knowledge Innovation Community (see: http://eit.europa.eu/collaborate/2016-call-for-kics)
- engages with the work of the European Technology Platform for Food through its role as a founder and active member of the UK National Technology Platform for Food
- works with partners to deliver activity at events relevant to IFR’s science and commercial goals